Monday, February 7, 2011

Almond & Cashew spread

A few people have asked me where I get the almond and cashew spread that I eat before the morning classes. The answer is in Woolworth's in the gluten free/organic section. Here is the brand I get, Naturals by Melrose....






It's really tasty and easily digested. I wouldn't recommend bread though before the 5:45am unless you have it two hours before. I find a couple of teaspoons is enough to give me some energy to get through the class.

I've recently found a recipe to make your own which is even healthier and preservative free. Thermomix owners its on page 148 of the owners book but here's the method using a normal food processor.

Ingredients:
200g of almonds, cashews or any other kind of nut, ideally organic.
2 tbsp Sunflower oil

Method:
Place nuts in the food processor and mix on a high speed for 10 seconds. If smooth spread is required continue mixing till nuts are powdered. Add oil and mix for a further 10 seconds. Add a little more oil if required. 

I think it might be trial and error till you get the desired consistency. Place in sterilised jars and store in a cool dry place. As there are no nasty preservatives this spread will last 14 - 21 days, refrigerate after opening.

Another pre morning snack I have as recommended by Kat Eden who gave an awesome "Food for Yoga" talk at BYJ in December is a small hard boiled egg or some cold meat. Not a whole steak but a few small mouthfuls of chicken or lean red meat. Stay away from processed meats like ham.

Hope you've found this useful!   

No comments:

Post a Comment