Monday, February 27, 2012

Gossip

I'm about four years late with this one but I've only just discovered the tv show Gossip Girl. Some people probably think it should have been left undiscovered. For me it's good background listening/half watching whilst I work, breaks the silence. 

The only reason I'm bringing it up here is sometimes I feel technology can be a double edged sword. Most of the story line scandals in the show develop when gossip is broadcast on a website for all to see from the mysterious 'Gossip Girl'. As all the kids on the show subscribe to the site and have smart phones the gossip is spread in seconds with sad, humiliating consequences for the person involved. 

Only last week I talked with two different friend's about 'the old days' before technology and the internet. If a friend drifted away & lost touch it happened. Now you find out they 'unfriended' you on Facebook and you start wondering why. Even stalker like behaviour begins to find out the reason. What used to be said privately between friends in person is now broadcast for all to see on the web. Back stabbing, snide status updates, hate groups, we are all guilty of it from time to time I know. In the spur of the moment when you're angry its too easy to have a rant, click send & its there forever logged in the FB archives. Cyber bullying is too real. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the internet & social networking. It is a great way of keeping in touch over long distances but when that is abused it can have really hurtful effects. When is too much? Will there ever be a way of mediating it?

Gossip Girl reminded me that even though it's a fictional show it can be related back to real life goings on. Has there been times you told a friend in confidence something only for them to text, email, twitter or FB it to someone else within a blink of an eye? It seems the only way to keep things private is within your own thoughts or only with people you can truly trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment