Monday, January 24, 2011

Let's get things started

A new year seems to symbolize fresh starts or new beginnings. After dedicating a lot of time following some of the awesome Bikram Yoga based blogs out there I decided it was time to start my own. So here it is, my first blog!

The timing seemed right as one week tomorrow, February 1st 2011 at 5:45am I will be starting my second 30 Day Bikram Yoga Challenge. It will be here I shall be documenting the experience in hope I will be able to draw from it for future challenges. Also someone out there might find this entertaining as well!


My first 30 day challenge was in October 2010. It ran pretty smoothly & I completed thirty classes in thirty consecutive days. The rules allowed for five classes to be missed with doubles to make up. I avoided this by putting anything that would get in the way on hold. I was sore, I got tired but I did it & actually felt scared about having more than two days off after I'd finished.


In preparation for this challenge I've been keeping up my usual four practices a week, even busting out a fifth last week. This week I will aim for four classes but will take Sunday and Monday off so I'm starting with rested & ready muscles! 

One thing I did learn from my last challenge is I must keep an eye on my nutrition & hydration. Especially as five out of the seven weekly classes will be at 5:45am. I need to eat well the evening before so I have enough energy to get me through the next class. Cut out the obvious junk & sugar which seems to have followed me from the festive season blow outs. It makes such a difference in class if I've eaten well, two and five fruit & veg with lots of lean protein. 

On top of all that hydration is key. Having a full time desk job with free flowing filtered water makes this part easy. However we are in the middle of summer here in Australia which means it's hot outside as well as in the yoga room. Got to keep those fluids up! A tip I've picked up is adding a pinch of Himalayan salt to my morning water for an energizing salt replacement boost!

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment