Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Happy Australia Day!

It's Australia Day! On this day in 1788 Captain Arthur Phillip & the first fleet (of convicts) arrived from Great Britain in Sydney Cove. We mark the day with a public holiday. Quite nice to have Wednesday off. This Australia is quite symbolic for me as even though I have celebrated 4 of these days since my migration here from the UK five years ago, today will be my first as an Australian citizen.

To mark the occasion I headed off for the 9am Bikram class with an optional dress up in Aussie colours theme. Clad in some bargain basement $12 Aussie flag board shorts, matching bandana and stick on tattoos I joined 44 other yogi's to sweat it out for 90 minutes. I had a fellow regular as a mat buddy who had also themed up for the occasion.  


We had our studio director teaching who I haven't taken a class with for ages so that was great. I always enjoy her classes. The energy was high, the humidity was up, my tattoos fell off before the end of the first set of Pranayama, the bandana slid off to the floor and stayed there during Dandayamana - Bibhaktapada - Paschimottanasana and those 100% polyester shorts.... Wow, I felt I'd be cooler wrapped in cling film!! Board shorts were certainly challenging. I don't know how people wear them. I ended up rolling them up as I just couldn't move, despite them being two sizes too big! My mat buddy was struggling with her's too. It all added to the fun, mixed it up and I can't wait to get back into my Lulu reverse grooves tomorrow!!

I rounded the day off with a great group of people, at a great house with a fantastic pool area drinking my sparkling water as I had to drive home for work tomorrow! A very happy Australia Day for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment